K... but actually. I don’t truly know that there is anything better than a burger or a sandwich thats homemade and just tastes GOOD. Get creative with the middle, add sprouts, pickles, guac, grilled pineapple. WHATEVER!
🍔 1/2 cup chopped red onions
🍔 1 clove of garlic
🍔 1/4 inch ginger
🍔 1/3 cup walnuts
🍔 1/4 cup packed cilantro
🍔 3/4 tsp salt or more depends on if the lentils were salted
🍔 3/4 tsp each of ground cumin coriander
🍔 1/2 tsp garlic
🍔 1 1/2 cups cooked brown lentils or 1 15 oz can. I used Indian brown lentils
🍔 2 tsp ketchup or bbq sauce
🍔 1 tsp oil
🍔 1 flax egg 1 tbsp flax seed meal mixed in 2.5 tbsp warm water, let sit for 2 minutes
🍔 1/4 cup gluten free breadcrumbs or regular breadcrumbs or can use flour
1. In a processor, process onion, garlic, ginger, walnuts and cilantro until finely chopped. Alternatively, cook the onions and garlic in 1/2 tsp oil until they are golden and then add to the processor.
2. Add the spices, salt, basil, rice, half of the cooked lentils and pulse a few times until well combined. Transfer to a bowl with the rest of the lentils. Add ketchup, oil, flax egg and mix everything until evenly mixed in. Mash a bit if needed and mix in. Taste and adjust salt, spice, herbs if needed. Add in the breadcrumbs or flour and mix in. Let the mixture chill for 10 minutes.
3. If the chilled mixture is too wet, add in more flour or breadcrumbs. The amount needed depends on the moisture in the veggies, the kind of lentils and just general mood of things in the mixture. Add more breadcrumbs or flour if too sticky wet. Add another flax egg if too crumbly to make patties.
4. Shape into 4 patties. Pack well. Heat a skillet over medium high heat. Add a drizzle of oil and spread it around. Place patties on the skillet and cook for 4 to 6 minutes per side. You can eat with vegan ranch/avocado ranch or mayo or ketchup, mustard or other dressing of choice. Add some caramelized onions or other toppings.
5. My favorite buns of choice are the O’doughs they are so good. Can also be found at most grocery stores now and Whole Foods stores.
The burger patties can also be baked. I prefer to cook them on a pan for a crispy exterior and moist juicy interior. Baking can dry the patties out a bit. If you use a good non stick pan, oil!